After the pain and loss of the last year, there’s nothing like spring to remind us that God makes all things new (Isaiah 43:19). Wherever this month finds you, we want to invite you to reflect on the last year and think about the rhythms and habits that have formed in your life as a result of the circumstances you’ve been living under.
At IF:2021, our friends, Annie F. Downs, Rebekah Lyons, and Lysa Terkeurst, talked about how we cope with pain. While the last year may have brought on a few unhealthy coping mechanisms as a result of the trauma in the world, we have the opportunity to establish new rhythms this spring and to truly find our rest in Jesus. If we want to live out the abundant life Jesus offers (John 10:10), then we need to fight back against the distractions of the world. As Annie said in the conversation, “We don’t want to get taken out of this game by sin, frustration, or exhaustion.” Yes and amen.
Let’s fight against the lies and the unhealthy rhythms that have creeped in, and let’s replace them with truth and with habits that remind us of who God is and who He has created us to be. Are you ready?
Here’s a list of reminders from the conversation with Annie, Rebekah, & Lysa to help get your wheels turning. Use these notes to help set your own rhythms that will allow you to find your true restoration in Jesus this month:
- When we experience pain, it demands something to quiet it.
- A healthy coping mechanism is something that doesn’t deny pain or an intense emotion, but cares for it.
- An unhealthy coping mechanism might feel good in the short term, but it won’t lead to flourishing.
- Jesus says to come into his rest. True rest requires pursuit, not numbing out.
- Rhythmic living is inviting God into the secret places of your heart, and doing it in a consistent way.
What rhythms can you create to form healthy coping mechanisms? Answer this month’s questions around your table and encourage one another to set healthy rhythms this spring!
If you want to hear more from this conversation with Annie, Rebekah, and Lisa, you can purchase On Demand to get access to all of the content from IF:2021 until the end of the year!