This week, we’ve discussed our strategy of adopting spiritual disciplines to help us become more like Jesus. It’s not through big, show-stopping acts of obedience that we reach out toward him. But it’s the small, daily acts of faith that transform us. Today, let’s develop an action plan for incorporating spiritual habits into our routines.
The Rhythm of Discipline
Step 1: Choose a Practice
The most common disciplines include:
- Fasting (This can be a temporary abstinence from food, television, spending, etc.)
- Rest (Sabbath)
- Meditation (Study of the Scriptures)
Thinking about those areas that are particularly troublesome for you, what is one discipline that you would like to incorporate into your life?
Step 2: Action Steps
Make a plan.
- How will you incorporate your chosen practice?
- Will this be a daily or weekly or monthly habit?
- How much time will you spend? (E.g. thirty minutes of study a day, fasting once a week or once a month, etc.)
- Schedule a time for it and put it on your calendar as a regular occurrence.
Step 3: Accountability
- Share your plan and calendar with a friend who is a fellow believer.
- Schedule brief monthly check-in calls (fifteen minutes or so) to update them on your progress.
Watch Week Five
Leave a Comment
Sign up for IF:Equip
Get the Daily Devotionals Emailed to You